Sunday, October 18, 2009

Des Moines Marathon recap

I will get right to the point. I finished 11th and ran it in 2:38:08. I feel good with the time considering the accelerated training plan I was forced to do afer being sick and forced to the sidelines four weeks prior. I started out feeling good (of course) and ran the first half in 1:17:20, which was a little faster than I wanted to run, considering my shape. I was able to keep the same pace until about mile 19, and then started to slow a bit once I hit some windy sections. I ran the second half in 1:20:48, so I slowed down some, but not that bad. I ran by myself the entire race, except for the three people I passed in the last two miles. I wish there were more people that run in no-mans-mid-2:30's-land. After finishing I went to the beer tent and rehydrated.

On another note, my brother also ran, placed 23rd overall, and ran a new PR in 2:46:30. He would have been even faster, but he got a hamstring cramp at mile 25, and had to stop at a medical tent for three minutes to get it worked out enough to jog to the finish. He was running really well and was only 2 minutes, 20 seconds behind me at mile 20. A very impressive run and finish. It shows that his training is paying off.

I won't be able to rest this week as I have to continue to get into shape for the upcoming JFK 50-miler. The fun is just beginning!

4 comments:

  1. Great Race, Bob! Use it as a nice spring-board in training for JFK. If you can stay healthy and get yourself to 100%, you'll be in the top 10 for sure. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are insane ya know that? Oh wait, I think I say that after every post you write. Great job on the run even if you didn't do as well as you expected (can I just kick you now?!?!?) You are unbelievably fast and I was totally trying to channel your speedyness as I ran Chicago!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Congrats man. That is awesome. Great job by your brother too.

    ReplyDelete