Friday, September 18, 2009

Race Awards ... a Time for Change

So there I was last night at the monthly Knoxville Track Club (KTC) long distance committee meeting, and one of the discussions I brought up was thinking of giving out different types of winner and age group awards that runners would enjoy and actually use during next year's race schedule. And here's what I mean by it. Growing up through the decades of running I have seen a steady flow of the same types of awards being presented. It started with ribbons and trophies in the mid-80s and early 90s. Then there was the addition of plaques and medals that cycled in throughtout the 90s and into the early 2000s. I've got boxes of plaques colleting dust in my storage space. Then it changed to coffee mugs and glasses throughout the past eight years. At least those are useful, but everyone's cabinets are starting to overflow with them.

So I thought of a few races around town that gave out different types of awards, and how I and other runners really appreciated and use them, and I recommended it was time to change the majority of the awards. For example, at the Carter Mill 10k, the awards presented were towels with the race name on them (Picture to the right shows the towel awards) . This was cool and useful because the race begins and ends at a pool where everyone hangs out afterwards. Then there were tomato plants given out as awards at the Greenways 5k, which is a race that promotes taking care of the environment. My brother planted all ones we won and he enjoys eating the homegrown tomatos (as do I when I go over there). These are but a few awards that I can actually say I've used.

I feel like there needs to be more awards that help promote the KTC, like headbands or gloves with the KTC race name on it, or race bags filled with body glide, GU, race patch and other useful items runners use (other than the glasses and mugs).

There is plenty of time before next year's race lineup, but it's never too early for suggestions. So if anybody's got any good ideas, I'd love to hear them! I'm out like a fat kid in dodgeball!

3 comments:

  1. I am all about useful awards. The towels are a good idea, you could even do the small sized ones, like golf towels. Everyone sweats and thos come in handy.

    You can pretty much monogram/logo anything these days. Visors are always good, but may be pricey. Oh and sweatbands for the wrists. Morgan and I are big fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The worst is now that I've moved into the master division, I'm getting more and more plaques while the age grouper are at least getting something marginally useful - even if it's a mug. How about giving the overall's what the age groupers are getting? If you want to do a plaque, trophy, or some other additional recognition, that would be fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've won one age group award and it was the towel at Carter Mill. The trophies and medals are cool if you only have a hand full, but I know that I wouldn't enjoy them as much as the towel I won.

    ReplyDelete