Monday, September 28, 2009

Watch Out for That Tree!

Let's just say that last week was a rough one. The first sign of trouble was when I noticed I was sick last Sunday. My body was weak, sore, and I couldn't breathe all week (I think it was the H1N1 piggy virus). My training suffered significantly as I could only muster a few miles a day to make myself feel like I was doing something. It didn't help that it rained everyday last week. This is all leading up to the Big South Fork 17.5 mile trail race that I had signed up for prior to getting sick. So Lally and I drive up there in the pouring rain to do this thing. The race is postponed 45 minutes until the lightning stopped and the rain wasn't a downpour. Even though I was sick and felt rough, I was all smiles when I thought of splashing down a trail for a couple hours, as you can see by the picture to the right. So we are off. I am hacking and coughing almost immediately. I gradually get slower during the first 5 miles but hold on the second place. Those would be the only miles I make that day before I'm stopped dead in my tracks by none other than a fallen tree. So I'm going full speed down the trail picking out my foot placements far in advance along the river of a trail and I notice a fallen tree that is laying over the trail about 5 feet off the ground. So I determine that I wouldn't have to slow down and I would be able to duck under it with no issues. Wrong! I was wearing a hat, so when I went to duck under the tree, I looked down and couldn't see that I misjudged the duck distance, and my 6'1" frame headbutted the tree, an the tree won. I saw stars as I went from running full speed, to laying on the ground. I take off my hat to notice a lot of blood and confirm it with putting my hand to my head and saw that it was covered with it as well. I, for once, decided not to be stubborn and keep running, and instead, walked back to the last aid station, which I had just passed. I knew I needed stitches and didn't want to add to my sickness either. So I took my first DNF ever and had someone drive me out. As for the stitches, I knew through multiple experiences of going to the emergency room for various head and face injuries (other stories for other days) that I could wait up to 15 hours or so before I had to be stitched up. So I waited around for Lally to finish, she did great btw running the course in 3 hours, 15 minutes. She is a doctor, so she checked me out after te race and determined I needed two stitchesm and called some friends and combined supplies to do the deed. So a few hours and beers later, we are back in Knoxville and head to her friends place, Kristine, who stitches me up, while Lally takes pictures.

Pictured below is Kristine stitching me up before I go watch some college football at "The Hill".


Good news: I ran 12.5 miles on Sunday and felt pretty good. It looks like the sickness is on the run, and I can get back to my regular training routine again to get in shape for the upcoming marathon in three weeks and 50-miler in November.

1 comment:

  1. You are outta control! Glad you're ok! Ouch!

    BTW now I'm singing "George of the Jungle" in my head... "Ahhh,Ahhh, Watch out for that tree!!!"

    P.S. I love that you are getting stitched up while drinking a beer. Classic.

    ReplyDelete