Friday, August 7, 2009

Bob's running advice: training log

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to provide some advice on how to go about training for a long race, whether its a hal marathon, marathon, or ultra race. Remember that everybody is different, so I will try to tailor these posts with that in mind. I will also try to use real-life examples/experiences to help explain posts in more detail. Feel free to pass these posts on to your fellow running friends. I enjoy passing on knowledge to grow the sport.

Training Log
In my book, this is by far one of the most important things to have when training. By keeping track of your miles/hours per day, you can both track what you've done in the past and forecast future workouts. Training logs can be very detailed, down to what the temperature was and a paragraph about how you felt, or you can do what I do, and just keep an Excel spreadsheet that goes back three years that just keeps track of my daily and weekly miles (I've provided a snapshot of my log and how to set it up).



(Click image to enlarge)

I've found my log to be very useful because I can look back at how I trained for past races or see what miles I've run the past few weeks to determine how many miles I want to try and reach the next week. I also recommend putting future races on the Excel spreadsheet, so you can place weekly mileage total amount (goals) you would like to reach before race day. I've never believed in following a generic online training schedule, and I always tell people who I make marathon training schedules for to never follow it to a "T" and to listen to their bodies. Once again, when I train for a future event, I never already have my daily training runs planned out (just the next several week's mileage goals)and I'm usually determining how far or hard I'm going to run "that day" based on how my body feels, which is another topic for another day.

If you would like to know more about this topic, send me a comment or email and I can go into more detail about it from my perspective. The next post will break down the different types of training runs you should be trying to incorporate into your weekly workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment