Thursday, August 20, 2009

South African 800m world champion ... more than a woman?

I'm going to get right to the point. Does it really take two weeks to find out the test results of five different doctors (one being a pyschologist) that will determine whether Caster Semenya, a South African athlete who won the women's 800m world championship by 2.5 seconds, is more woman or man? I mean, I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt, even though the woman looks like a man, talks like a man, and runs like a man, because, according to this article, her dad, grandmother, cousins, and friends say she is a woman. I mean who has family and friends lie, and in this case continue to lie, when the person is to be tested. According to the article, the IAAF is saying it is testing her for sexual ambiguity. The most common cause of sexual ambiguity is congenital adrenal hyperplasia, an endocrine disorder where the adrenal glands produce abnormally high levels of hormones, which would explain why she looks and talks like a man. From what I understand, if there is a certain amount of hormones that are released in a woman's body due to this disorder, then she cannot compete due to an unfair advantage. Well, I for one am interested in seeing the results.

3 comments:

  1. I am too! It sucks for South Africa if they find out she's a he. I am sorry to say this but, she does look rather masculine, especially standing next to the other competitors. If she's not a he, I would say test for steroids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it. It would only take me a couple of seconds to grab a handful and feel if (s)he has a package or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My point exactly ... Brad said he saw a post saying to give her the ole Crocodile Dundee grab test

    ReplyDelete